MARS Photography Club Charter
purpose of the MARS Photography Club is to provide enjoyment to the
members through photographic activities such as field trips and
competitions, to upgrade technical and creative skills, to share
knowledge and experiences, to provide photographic support to the MARS
Star staff, and to develop friendships through common interests.
Programs of photographic interest are presented at most meetings by
either guests or members. These presentations and theme photo
competitions are the primary activities at the meetings. Judges are
either club members or invited judges.
Photography Club is one of the activities of MARS Associates. The
purpose is to provide mutual enjoyment through the common interest of
photography. We endeavor to improve our photographic technical skills,
share knowledge and travel experiences, and develop friendships.
club is open to all MARS Associates’ members in good standing. There
are no club dues to belong to the MARS Photography Club. The cost of
club activities shall be borne by club members.
Regularly scheduled meetings will be conducted. Typical meetings may include:
officers of the club shall consist of a President, a Vice President,
and a Secretary. They shall be nominated annually, at the last meeting of the Summer, and selected by voice
vote at the next meeting. The President shall plan and conduct the meetings and activities
of the club. The Vice-President of the club shall assist the President
in planning activities and programs and act as president in his/her
absence. The Secretary shall be responsible for club records. The club
officers shall coordinate with the MARS Associates Activities Vice
President any requested photographic support and attendant expenses.
- Topical presentations of photography techniques and/or pictures and videos of interest
- Snack breaks allowing for exchange of tips and experiences
- Competition of members photos, judged by a volunteer member or visitor
Club Officers’ Responsibilities
- Conduct all club meetings
- Coordinate with club members to cover MARS activities on behalf of the MARS STAR, if requested by the MARS Associates Activites VP.
- Appoint a club member as MARS STAR Liaison to coordinate club
responsibilities, and interface with MARS STAR staff.
- Approve rules and guidelines for all competitive activities such as judged activities, exhibits, etc.
- Approve any proposed expenditure of money and coordinate approvals with the MARS Associates Activites VP.
- Plan programs that are consistent with normal club meetings.
- Plan and coordinate club activities, field trips, or educational programs as is appropriate.
- Act for President in his/her absence.
- Assist president as required in planning activities, and
preparing rules and guidelines for such activities.
- Assist President in preparing programs for regular club meetings
- Plan and organize special activities and provide technical assistance to members as required.
- Provide primary club liaison pertaining to club activities with the MARS Associates website.
- Maintain a record of all meetings’ activities (contests,
exhibitions and awards, etc.) for the purpose of publication in the
MARS STAR and in the MARS Associates’ annual report.
- Maintain current membership and contact list
ENTRIES: At each photo competition each member participant may submit
up to three entries -- prints, in color or monochrome.
prints shall be mounted and/or matted and the minimum image size shall
be 4x6 in. while the total size shall not exceed 16x20 in. including
mat and/or mount. Frames and/or glass are not allowed. A brief image
title and entrant's name shall be placed in the upper right hand corner
on the back. Award winning images, (1st, 2nd, 3rd and HM) from the
previous two years may not be reentered in the competitions.
All entries for the competition must be placed for display at the beginning of the meeting to permit review by other members.
must be at least 3 participants. If there are not at least 3 then the
entries will only be critiqued but not judged, and can be reentered in
The judge determines whether or not the image fits the specified
subject for the competition. Members must refrain from comments and/or
discussion during judging. Judging includes critique and initial
screening for "IN", "HOLD" or "OUT" based on the judging elements of a
photograph as defined below:
"IN" = Award consideration - an excellent photograph SUGGESTED ELEMENTS of a PHOTOGRAPH: Impact, Creativity, Use of Light
"HOLD" = Award possibility - a very good photograph
"OUT" = No further consideration - a good to fair photograph
Composition and Technique.
SELECTION: The judge selects "1st place", "2nd place", "3rd place" and
a number of "Honorable Mentions" based on the number of entries as
1-5 = None; 6-13 = One;. 14 or more = Two The judge's decision is final.